Breaking Things with Care and Precision

All content copyright 2005 by Adam.

Monday, April 04, 2005

This is What it Sounds Like When the Doves Cry.

I bought an XM radio receiver when I started having to commute 25 miles to work each day, and it's been a good investment. Like all radio, however, you've got to hear some crap once in a while. Well, let me tell you, boy-o, today I heard some crap. The stink perforated my eardrums and moved on into my eyes and nose. It was putrid. I listened in pain, and yet could not turn away. So, I share with you, my friends, this dose of Good Charlotte's "The Young and the Hopeless":

And no one in this industry
Understands the life I lead
When I sing about my past
It's not a gimmick, not an act
These critics and these trust fund kids
Try to tell me what punk is
But when I see them on the streets,
they got nothing to say....

Now, here's the deal: Were I to see Good Charlotte on the street, I'm sure I wouldn't recognize them, and thus, I'd have nothing to say. There'd be no need to bother. However, come the hell on! "No one in this industry understands the life I lead"? Here's a time where I get my "shut the hell up" bat out of the trunk and start swinging away. Kids, you made your move. You wanted to be major label darlings, you got it, and now, well, you've kind of got to shut up.

If not for me, for the children. For the animals. For the betterment of the world. Just shut up. Please. Scream about the trust fund kids, and I'll politely voice my opinion on the state of mainstream "punk" music. You set yourself up for this, kids, and a mediocre pop song doesn't wash away your part in this nonsense.

Eh. Should have titled this "Too Easy, Redux."

1 Comments:

At 1:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One particular alien artifact deserves special attention: the Tantalus Field. Discovered by the Mirror Captain James Kirk "in the laboratory of a dead alien scientist," the Tantalus Field is a device that granted the Captain much of his power and fearsome reputation.

The Field consists of a small viewscreen and a few simple controls. By adjusting the controls, the operator can call up a view of any point within orbital distance (up to 10,000 kilometers away). No know screens or other technology can block the Tantalus Field's view. This ability alone is quite useful for covert surveillance, but the Tantalus Field's true power allows its user to "lock on" to anything in the device's field of view and destroy it with the touch of a button.

The Tantalus Field operates on a principle of quantum interference. It disrupts the target's normal quantum resonance signature. In essence, the target no longer "belongs" in normal space-time and instantly ceases to exist, vanishing in a momentary flash of light. This is more than mere disintegration; the subject is banished from reality all together. There is no known defense against the Tantalus Field; once it has you in its sights, you are as good as dead. The field has no Damage Rating or game statistics for this reason. It requires only a Routine Personal Equipment (Tantalus Field) Test to destroy anyone or anything within the field's range.

The Tantalus Field remained in the Mirror Kirk's possession until the Mirror Spock discovered its existence in 2269. With the aid of the Tantalus Field, Spock seized power on board the I.S.S. Enterprise. He used the Tantalus Field as one of his prime weapons in his own ascent to power in the Empire.

However, even the power of the Tantalus Field was no match for the invasion of the Klingon-Cardassian Alliance. The Field has not fallen into the hands of the Alliance, and its whereabouts remain unknown. It is rumored Spock's mysterious "disappearance" was the result of a subordinate using the Tantalus Field to assassinate him. More likely Spock still has control of the Tantalus Field, and is most likely using it to keep watch on activities in the Alliances and elsewhere, perhaps eliminating those that threaten his long-term plans, whatever they may be.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home