Breaking Things with Care and Precision

All content copyright 2005 by Adam.

Friday, May 13, 2005

...Now I've Got the Reds.

It's another quiet night at the ranch.

AMF is still in DC, off at a pie-eating contest tonight, and I'm all goofed up on allergy medication.

I did the gym, where a dad (oh Lord, I hope...) was instructing his son to squat in front of the mirror. Let me tell you- this is a creepy and distracting thing to have going on around you. 10 year old repeatedly squatting in front of the mirror while "dad" worked out on the machines in his street clothes.

But, it takes all kinds, right? Right.

All I've had to eat today are the Frosties, so I should probably be thinking about tossing some grub into my belly. But- the allergy medication. I've had an awkward uncomfortable nose tickle that's led to some awkward sneezing. I took a single pill, and I feel down for the count. I've locked the door and turned off most lights to discourage Gypsies. I couldn't take a single a-one in my condition. They'd have my wallet, my cat, and all the canned goods, and there wouldn't be a damned thing I could do about it. Not a damned thing.

I've been futzing around with emusic.com in the background of this haze. Right now, I can't remember for the life of me what it was that directed me there. Ghosts, perhaps. They have a free trial subscription, 50 free song downloads, and if you cancel within two weeks, there's no charge. If you don't, they have several subscription levels allowing different numbers of song downloads per month, all of which are significantly cheaper than iTunes. Right now, I'm in the midst of downloading the first two Methadones albums- the selection is pretty great. The even have two live Figgs albums. Thus far, I like this, but still probably plan on skipping out after my 50 songs. Just can't be tossing the ducets around these days.

Playing right now is "Hygiene Aisle" by the Methadones. Pretty freaking great. And, a great band. I will go on record as saying that their most recent album, "Not Economically Viable," is one of the top "modern" punk albums I've heard in quite some time. It's difficult to explain, but it's a very rare album that, start to finish, has songs that just "work." And, by "work," I mean there's never a point in a song where I feel the chorus just went wrong, or a transition just turned a great song into a mediocre one. Dan Schaefer knows how to write a great pop song. Cheap Trick couldn't do too much better.

My current sleepiness indicates that this will be an early night, which will work out well. I want to get up early tomorrow and have a real day. I don't know exactly what a real day entails, but I really want one, dammit.

I'll report back tomorrow on my findings, my successes, and my failures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home