Breaking Things with Care and Precision

All content copyright 2005 by Adam.

Monday, March 14, 2005

Rock and Roll Paddy.

We headed in to town on Saturday a little behind the St. Patrick's Day activities. About the only remaining signs were the pair of bedeckled (soon to be found in the O.E.D.- watch) pickup trucks/floats that almost hit me as they peeled into our town's "Irish Pub." The quotes are intentional- the place reminds me a bit of a sad Epcot where the patrons don't quite get the joke. AMF was banking, and I'd been getting the Saturn's oil change.

We ended up hitting some bars shortly after noon. There was no green beer to be had, but we ended up having a nice enough time, nonetheless. In a moment of serendipity, we ran into the mayor, who was dressed in novelty leprechaun attire. We talked for a bit about AMF's difficulty finding a job in Naperville, and he was a good ear and offered up some good contact information for her to pursue. He told AMF she could drop his name, saying to tell people, "you were talking to the mayor, and he said you were a good girl." So, whether it pans out, or not, it was still kind of cool and exemplifies the reasons I love this town so much.

The beer got the best of me, and I ended up in a shopping mode. I picked up a Moleskine notebook (hardbound, with the cool elastic strap closure) while I waited for my Cahier's to arrive (they did, today. They're nice, but not nearly as cool) and a Cosmo for AMF at Barnes and Noble, and then picked up some cat stuff for Truman at Two Bostons, a new pet store that popped up over night. I'm all about supporting the local economy. And, I suppose, spending money frivolously while a bit in my cups. I left a request for the proprietess of Two Bostons: "Please contact me-- immediately-- if you can secure a leather cat collar, with studs, with breakaway cat collar safety features." She took the request good-naturedly, but I wonder if her internal dialogue was more on the level of the external dialogue of the guy at Barnes and Noble who had to deal with my insistance that I had a card-- somewhere-- that entitled me to save 20% on my purchase.

We got home, screwed around for a bit, and then headed to my folks' for dinner. Had a great time there, and stayed until late in the evening. I hit the wine and then went to walk the dogs with my dad. Cigars and good conversation about work. I got on a kick about needing AMF to learn how to make my mom's crumb kuken, so mom and AMF baked while dad and I ambled around the neighborhood with a pair of shivering tiny dogs.

While at my folks', I watched the new Star Wars trailer about five times. I suggest you do the same. At your own homes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home